Most people visit St. Michaels Maryland for the cute historic downtown, relaxing atmosphere, and good food, but did you know that there is a long history of maritime tradition that is deeply enriched in the community? Here in St. Michaels we are lucky enough to have The Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum where visitors can get a hands-on learning experience with boat building and maritime traditions. The museum has something to offer for any season – in the fall you can find tons of Autumn Festivals, in the winter you can enjoy the Interactive Exhibits, and in the summer you can arrive by boat!
One of the most amazing and unique things about the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum is their working boatyard. The museum celebrates St. Michaels’ rich history of boat building by continuing this age-old tradition of hand building. You can stop by and see staff building and renovating boats, you can also do your own apprenticeship!
Local photographer, Michael Borkoski recently created a photo series surrounding the St. Michaels boatyard. Take a look at his beautiful photos here.
For more information on visiting St. Michaels and the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum, please visit us here or call us at 800.446.9066.
Photo Via: stmichaels.org
It’s back-to-school time! But there is still plenty of time to back your bags and enjoy all of the great weather fall has to offer. With fun, food and waterfront views, you really can’t go wrong, what better place to dash off to then the Eastern shore of Maryland.
Here are the top 5 reasons to drop everything and head off to St. Michaels for the perfect fall getaway.
- Get on the Water: If you are looking to be on or near the water for your fall getaway, St. Michaels is the place to be. You can catch a sailboat ride, relax by the water, or even try paddle boarding for the first time. If there is an activity on the water, you will find it here.
- Make a Tee Time: St. Michaels has some of the best golf courses in Maryland. The Harbortowne Golf Course was designed and built by the legendary golf course architect Pete Dye. Playing to a par 70, the Harbortowne Golf Course – has many Pete Dye trademarks. Narrow fairways with target landing areas, carefully placed mounds in the rough, deep bunkers, high grass bunkers, neat little ponds, walls of railroad ties, and small protected greens are just a few of the highlights of this extraordinary course.
- Prime Location: St. Michaels offers amazing views of the bay with a relaxing, low key vibe. Historic downtown offers boutique shopping and delicious restaurants – all without large crowds. If you are lucky you will visit on a weekend with one of the areas many fun and exciting festivals.
- Wine & Dine: If you are looking for a culinary adventure, look no further. St. Michael’s is chock full of restaurants, wineries, distilleries and breweries. Check out the St. Michaels Winery for a delicious experience.
- A little History: For those looking to add a little education to their trip, this is the place to be. MD, and St. Michaels are rich with history. Take a walk through the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum, or hop on board the Patriot Historical Cruise and learn about the history of the area with a beautiful view of the bay.
Take advantage of the last bit of warm weather. Call us today, or go online to book your trip to St. Michaels this fall.
Are you planning a company meeting or retreat for this fall or winter? Trends are showing that more and more companies are looking to make their company meetings more fun and engaging for their employees. Here are the top 4 meeting trends for the fall 2014:
- Location: According to a recent survey, 43% of meeting planners list destination as their #1 priority when choosing a meeting location. Planners want unique spots, with gorgeous views, lively culture, and a variety of activities. You really can’t beat the waterfront location at Harbortowne. Our meeting rooms offer employees stunning views of the Chesapeake Bay, and the quaint town of Saint Michael’s gives people many options to explore in their time off.
- Flexible Meeting Spaces: Meeting planners are looking for spaces that that can be utilized creatively for multiple different events whether they are sit down sessions or ice breaking activities. Our meeting spaces give you the flexibility you need to have the perfect company meeting. Our conference rooms and facilities accommodate groups from 10 to 160 people including 8,000 square feet of meeting rooms that overlook the Chesapeake Bay! We can also offer unique outdoor spaces for your meeting or retreat. Contact your meeting planner for more information on where your meeting can be held.
- Team building: In a recent survey, 92% of planners reported that teambuilding remained high on their list of priorities for company outings and meetings. In addition, they are looking for unique, one of kind locations to host team building activities. Here at Harbourtowne, we have joined forces with an assortment of vendors to inspire ideas and create creative team building activities. Some fun activities we’ve successfully coordinated in the past include:
- Kayaking to an island to embark on a treasure hunt
- Build your own sailboat and race them from our sandy beach
- Scavenger hunts in St. Michaels
- Team volleyball matches
- Thinking Outside the Meeting: Company meetings and getaways don’t have to be spent completely inside! In fact, sporting venues are trending in the meeting industry right now. In addition, trends are leaning toward all-inclusive meeting packages complete with amenities such as spa treatments or golf. Our golf course, designed and built by the legendary golf course architect Pete Dye, provides a great test of skills for players of all levels. Our practice facilities are excellent. They include a full service driving range, practice and bunker area, chipping/pitching green and a large putting green. For your convenience, golf clubs can also be rented.
Spring may be just a few short months away, but this time of year still has us firmly in winter’s grip. If the colder temperatures and too many days of gray skies leave you feeling a bit stir-crazy, it’s time to get out of the house and away from it all. Winter is an ideal time to relax, unwind, and explore the small towns in your back yard. The smaller crowds make everything from shopping and dining, to simply booking a room much more convenient, and discounted prices simply add to the appeal.
St. Michaels, Maryland is known for its historic charm. During your visit be sure to explore the local bistros, galleries, and antique shops along Main Street. Take time to stroll the brick-lined walkways and soak in the historic flavor of the colonial homes, stone churches, decorated storefronts, and the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum.
Harbourtowne’s cozy accommodations offer a selection of standard rooms, point rooms, and our most exclusive suites. Our suites are well-appointed with a king bed in the bedroom, a separate sitting room, and include a fireplace. If you are looking for a more private and secluded setting, a point room may be a good fit. These cottage-style buildings are situated on a small peninsula on the outer edge of our property. Within all of our rooms you can unwind in the comfort of your room, indulge in the breathtaking waterfront view, curl up to a good book, or bask on a sunny balcony.
Tell your special someone it’s time to pack a bag and plan a little stay, just the right amount of time, and a relatively short distance away, to feel like you’ve escaped the everyday.
Although we like to think we’re a little different here, we know that sometimes traveling during the summer can be totally draining. When you add up the cost, the travel time, and the expense of activities, it can be a little too much. If you find summertime traveling to be overwhelming, don’t worry! We are open year around and we can tell you that traveling on the off-season is not only relaxing, but very rewarding.
The holiday season can be a busy time of year with celebrations and family get togethers. This season, why not treat yourself to a little off-season getaway? We think this is the perfect time of year to travel and here is why:
1. Peace & Relaxation: While St. Michaels is primarily a summer town; we have a lot to offer in the off-season as well. Check out some of the town’s holiday festivals and events, you might be surprised by all of the activities you might find.
2. Give your Wallet a Rest: One of the best things about traveling in the off –season is the great deals you can get. We offer great rates for both rooms and golf packages. If you’re interesting in booking a getaway this winter, you can make a reservation online, or by calling us at 1-800-446-9066
3. Open Golf Course: Our award winning golf course, designed by golf course architect Pete Dye is open year round. So, even though it might be a little chilly, you can still get in a great day of golf without having to wait for the crowds. When you’re done, you can head on into downtown St. Michael’s for a hot drink and dinner.
4. Avoid the Traffic: We all know that traveling to and from the Eastern Shore during the summer can be a nightmare. With traffic backing up to the Bay Bridge, it can be daunting to make the trip out. However, traveling in the off-season is typically smooth sailing all the way out to St. Michael’s.
If you are looking for a way to unwind after a busy holiday season, consider a trip out to Harbourtowne. With all of the benefits of traveling in the 0ff-season, how can you say no? For more information about what our resort has to offer, you can visit our website www.harbourtowne.com